Monday, May 10, 2010

Home Again

It's my first Monday back in the Philly area, and it's bittersweet. I miss State College a whole lot, but there is a fantastic silver lining: I have access to a sweet stove, ample counter space, and one of the best grocery stores ever when it comes to produce. I was driving back from getting my typhoid, yellow fever, hep a, and polio shots when I decided that this place wasn't a detour at all, and that I really should stop in.

First thing I reach for, of course, is beets. I love the color, the flavor, the wide variety of applications for them. Second thing I go for is some green plantains, which I had to actually ask about because what they had labeled as green plantains was a stack of yellow and brown plantains (not the same flavor or texture, not what I was aiming for). They guy found a box in the back and brought them out. He goes on to ask me if I really eat these things, and if they're anything like bananas. Same question from the cashier, actually.

Plantains are for later, beets were for lunch. I made a pasta with a beet sauce and decided to practice some shooting in the last stages of cooking. Here's the final plate, really tasty, and an awesome color. I took some lighter shots, but they were all too blurry and I wasn't happy with the color. I'll have to work on that.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! never thought of using beets instead of tomato for base of pasta/sauce - but will have to try, thanks for sharing.. What ultimately happened to the plantains...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up frying half of them and then ran out of oil. The other half of the plantains (I bought four total) were already peeled and sliced, but went bad sitting out before I could pick up more oil at the store. The ones I did fry, however, were eaten before I could get any pictures. I'll take that over them being snubbed, though!

    ReplyDelete